Monday, May 19, 2008

reacTIVision

For the past few days I've been thinking about how the user will interact with the map. I had planned on using RFID tags and a reader to translate the user's movements to the map on screen.

I decided to focus on the use of the webcam to track movement for the moment. I heard about fiducial markers and using them with a webcam to track their coordinates. While I was researching this I came across reacTIVision which Nora had talked to us about earlier this semester. It's open source software which is used to track fiducial markers and has been used for a lot of really interesting projects. The reactable seems to be the most successful use of the software.




I think this would be a great way to track the user's movement using the fiducial marker and map the X and Y coordinates to the Flash map.


So far, I've downloaded reacTIVision and printed some of the packaged fiducial markers to see how it works. I held up a random marker and it did recognise it! I'm really enjoying using it at the moment and think it could befinitely be something I would like to use. Unlike most of the other projects I've seen that have used it, I'm not planning on projecting anything onto the table. I'm not sure if this will make using it more or less complicated but I'll soon find out!

No comments: